Schedule and Expectations2016-2017
Each year, Reveille United Methodist Church invites those in eighth grade and beyond who have not yet joined the church to participate in a particular period of Christian formation known as confirmation. The class is designed to empower and enable young people to respond to God’s call to be and make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. With this goal in mind, confirmation includes both information and formation. Youth will learn information about scripture, the history of the Christian church, including the United Methodist Church, United Methodist theology and our worship practices. Youth will also be formed in their faith through sharing worship together, growing together in Sunday school class (when not in confirmation class), youth group, retreats, and through serving together in mission. At the end of the class, each student will be invited to decide whether or not he or she is ready to consciously embrace the Christian faith and vocation as his or her own and to accept the responsibilities of Christian discipleship.
Confirmation is a serious commitment that spans the course of a school year.
Along with parent and class leadership, the confirmands will have a mentor that walks beside them on their faith journey. Confirmands will have the option to personally ask someone to be their mentor, but we will also have a list of people who have mentored before to offer as suggestion, if needed. Mentors should be members or regular attenders of Reveille United Methodist Church.
Confirmation class will meet on the following dates:
January 22 and 29, 2017
February 5, 12, and 26
March 19 and 26
Each class will meet from 9:20 am to noon in the room 02. As part of the class, we will attend worship together at either the 9:30 or 11:00 am worship service.
One retreat will take place after Easter Sunday, with the exact dates and place to be announced.
A mandatory rehearsal for the Confirmation worship service will take place Sunday, May 14, 2017, at 9:30 am in the Sanctuary.
Confirmation Sunday is set for Sunday, May 21, 2017.
This year, you will receive a form to keep track of the following worship, growth, and service expectations:
• Attend worship weekly, with a minimum of 30 clergy signatures during confirmation class.
• Serve three times in worship at 8:30, 9:30, or 11:00 am (acolyte, crucifer, read scripture, serve communion, etc.) during confirmation class.
• Attend one alternative worship service with their mentor. Confirmands are encouraged to visit a church that is a different style or denomination to experience different types of worship.
• Miss no more than three of the 17 confirmation classes (attendance the retreat is required).
• Attend Sunday school a minimum of 10 times during the year.
• Attend Youth Group a minimum of 10 times during the year.
• Complete 10 hours of outreach service during the year.
• One Saturday evening in the spring, the class as a group, with their mentors, will serve with CARITAS, hosting the guests by preparing and serving dinner, as well as playing games with them.
Confirmands have from August 1, 2016, until May 14, 2017 to complete the above worship, grow, and serve requirements.
Also, in March and April, we will meet with both you and your teen to discuss his/her decision about joining the church. We believe this is a very personal decision, that completing the class does not require a youth to be confirmed, and that the individual youth’s decision should be respected by those around him or her. Faith in Christ is a life-long journey in which we grow, not a moment in time after which we have “graduated.”